fbpx
30.8 C
Kuala Lumpur
Friday, May 20, 2022
HomeNewsUMNO officially pulls back their support for Muhyiddin

UMNO officially pulls back their support for Muhyiddin

Following the emergency supreme council meeting yesterday (3 August), UMNO has announced their decision to retract the support of its Members of Parliament (MP) for the present Perikatan National (PN) government and the Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

The matter was announced by UMNO President, Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi after there is an adequate number of statutory declarations (SDs) being signed by the UMNO MPs.

He added that he has presented some of the SDs to the King in a recent audience that he sought.

“This shows that Muhyiddin’s leadership has lost the majority and his legitimacy as the head of government is nullified.” Ahmad Zahid said.

The announcement caught the PN government off guard as UMNO previously announced to pledge their loyalty towards the government. At the same time, this comes as a heavy blow to the PN government, whose legitimacy is currently being disputed by Opposition MPs following the recent Royal rebuke on the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances.

In the press conference, Ahmad Zahid was backed by 10 UMNO MPs, including Pekan MP Datuk Seri Najib Razak, Machang MP Datuk Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub, Gua Musang MP Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah, Pengerang MP Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said, Tanjong Karang MP Tan Sri Noh Omar, Pontian MP Datuk Seri Ahmad Maslan, and Baling MP Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim and among others.

The others were Cameron Highlands MP Ramli Mohd Nor, Jerantut MP Datuk Ahmad Nazlan Idris, and Parit MP Datuk Mohd Nizar Zakaria.

Ahmad Zahid also explains that the UMNO MPs who are present at the press conference were the ones who signed SDs to retract support for Muhyiddin as prime minister.

“For the purposes of legitimacy, together with me are the MPs who have signed SDs and there are a few MPs who could not be here because they are at their respective constituencies, for example in Sabah.”

“I will present the remaining SDs in an audience with the King at a later date,” he said.

He also read out the statement which was released earlier, saying that UMNO has decided that it would stand with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and not side with the Perikatan government.

He added that Muhyiddin’s plans to table a motion to debate and annul the Emergency Ordinance in the upcoming September Parliament session does not reflect the current Constitutional crisis that was triggered by the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances.

“The government has clearly gone against the King’s decree and in fact, they have undermined His Majesty, who has decreed multiple times for all Emergency Ordinances to be debated and annulled before 1 August, not September, in line with Article 150(3) of the Federal Constitution.”

At the same time, he also expressed UMNO’s unwavering loyalty to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

“Muhyiddin must take responsibility for the failure and defiance of the government led by him, which clearly went against the King’s decree, by honourably resigning.” he said.

Read the statement from UMNO here:

Source: UMNO Online

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments