30.8 C
Kuala Lumpur
Saturday, May 21, 2022
HomeSocial NewsIf You Are Staying At A New Residence For More Than 90...

If You Are Staying At A New Residence For More Than 90 Days, Make Sure To Change The IC Address

Does your identification card (IC) still have the address from your childhood home, or you have moved out from your parents’ house but having the same address?

According to the National Registration Department’s (JPN) website, you might just be breaking the law if you don’t change your address to where you currently reside as Regulation 15 of the National Registration Regulations 1990 states that:

It is of regular importance for the public to change their address when it comes to voter’s registration during the election period. However, the need for change is crucial as it can be easier for the authorities to identify your origin during the Movement Control Order (MCO).

To change your identification card, IC holders must visit a JPN counter and bring along supporting documents such as electricity bill, water bill, property assessment tax, sale and purchase agreement, and tenancy agreement, among others.

Documents from your village head, tuai rumah (longhouse head), assemblyperson, member of Parliament, or Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) are accepted if no other documents are available.

Furthermore, as this also applies to people who live in a rented residence, IC holders are not allowed to use their workplace, organisations, and post office (PO) boxes as their addresses.

Those wishing to change their address can make an appointment via MyJanjiTemu before visiting any JPN branch.

Malaysians must pay RM10 for the change of address as it requires the issuance of a new IC, while non-citizens have to pay RM40 for it

People who live in a rented residence for more than 90 days are not excused from the regulation either.

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments