fbpx
30.8 C
Kuala Lumpur
Saturday, May 21, 2022
HomeSocial NewsGoh Liu Ying & Chan Peng Soon are withdrawing from BWF World...

Goh Liu Ying & Chan Peng Soon are withdrawing from BWF World Championships 2021

Malaysian mixed-doubles Goh Liu Ying and Chan Peng Soon have given their all in every tournament as this was certainly proven during the recent World Badminton Finals when they narrowly secured a spot in the semi-finals. Unfortunately, they fell to the Thailand pair, Puavaranukroh and Taerattanachai.

However, it seems that last tournament took more out of them than anyone expected. Goh announced on her socials today (6th December) that the dynamic duo are retiring from the BWF World Championships 2021.

The BWF World Championships which is scheduled to be held in Spain, is the last tournament of the year. Many badminton players usually look forward to the final stage to prove their mettle. As such, Goh was disheartened to announce the news.

This is already the best (ending) we fought for,” the 32-year-old athlete said about their results in the World Badminton Finals. “(I) really tried my best.” However, the Finals appears to be the be-all-end-all for the two. Goh explained there were several factors that helped weigh their decision to withdraw. “The schedule may (have been) too intensive, maybe due to age (related matters),” she said. “I really can’t recover my physical strength.

Goh admitted it had been too much for both her and Chan. If the World Badminton Finals was taxing on them, the Championships would be even more so. “One more (tournament) would only add to the body’s burden,” she wrote. “(We won’t be able) to achieve the goal we want. What’s more, (with) the epidemic breaking out again, (there are) all kinds of worries.

It is made known that the decision was a difficult one for the duo. “I know the World Championships means a lot to every athlete. I’m really sorry that I can’t (wear) the Malaysian jersey to fight (for) Malaysia again,” she apologised. “This time, I really can’t hold on.” The 32-year-old athlete thanked their sponsors and fans for always supporting them and joining them on their journey.

The 33-year-old athlete explained he would much rather pull out of the tournament than give less than his best. “To give the best to everyone is the best explanation,” he wrote. Many left their well wishes to the duo, including fellow doubles player Aaron Chia and former national player Datuk Lee Chong Wei. Fans also expressed hope in seeing them at their best again soon.

We can certainly respect the two for knowing when they’ve reached the end of their rope. Hopefully, they can recover enough to take part in tournaments next year.

In the meantime, they, like us, will be watching their teammates carry the torch for them in the Championships. Players like Soh Wooi Yik and Lee Zii Jia are already gearing up for the tournament which starts on 12th December. We clearly have much to look forward to.

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments