KUALA LUMPUR: A screenshot from a Twitter post said to be about Malaysia having been rejected from participation in the Tokyo Olympics has gone viral on social media, but the National Sports Council (NSC) said it was not true.
“This is fake news. The Malaysian contingent will definitely go to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games,” the NSC said in a message posted on its Facebook page yesterday.
The Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) also denied the news on its Twitter account, saying they did not receive any information from the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Organising Committee regarding the matter.
“The statement from @Twt_PutrajayaWP is not true at all,” the OCM tweeted.
Earlier, a screenshot from the Twitter account @Twt_PutrajayaWP had gone viral claiming that Malaysia’s participation at the Olympics had been rejected by Tokyo.
The Olympic Games will take place from July 23 to Aug 8 and the Paralympics from Aug 24-Sept 5.