The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) will called up three members from the cabinet under the previous government to assist in the investigation into the allegations of misappropriation involving RM600 billion.
According to Bernama, the three involved were then Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, then Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Abdul Aziz and then Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.
This came after MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said the commission had opened an investigation into the allegations.
Meanwhile, New Straits Times reported that the investigations are only at the preliminary stages, with preparations being made before individuals are called in to record their statements.
Whistle-blower to provide evidence
Speaking to the press, Parti Amanah Negara mobilisation bureau director Sany Hamzan, who was the first to bring this matter up, said he had yet to receive a call from the anti-graft body. He added that he would provide evidence, including documentation, of the misappropriation of funds.
He also said that while waiting for the commission to contact him, he would gather more evidence of the serious breach of procedures.
“So far, I have yet to be called by MACC after lodging a police report on 30 November but I am ready to fully cooperate with the authorities when called. I will come with the evidence that shows the breach happened,” Sany said, adding that he only wanted the authorities to investigate the matter fairly.
“If there is no offence or if no misappropriation happened, then we will accept it but so far, we are suspicious of the lavish expenditure by Perikatan Nasional. That is why we lodged a police report and demanded for an investigation.”
Meanwhile, Sany said he will be going to the Istana Negara to submit a memorandum asking the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to support the establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to investigate the matter.
On Tuesday (6 December), Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim claimed that the Finance Ministry officials informed him about the several serious procedure breaches in the handling of RM600 billion expenditure during Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s tenure as prime minister.
However, Muhyiddin denied the accusations and said that it was impossible for him to misappropriate the funds since it was individual money from the Employees Provident Fund and banks, which were not under his control.