While Pakatan Harapan (PH) and Perikatan Nasional (PN) race to garner support to form the next federal government, it appears that Barisan Nasional (BN) has agreed to form a pact with PH, as instructed by the Agong.
According to New Straits Times, a source said that both coalitions had come up with a win-win formula for a new unity government and will keep their doors open for other parties, particularly from Sabah and Sarawak, to join them.
Meanwhile, it was revealed that the 10-point agreement proposed by PH to BN included the following:
- The Parliament will not be dissolved before it completes its five-year term
- All measures will be taken to ensure policies, programmes and government direction to uphold the provision of the constitution on matters relating to the position of Islam, Malays/Bumiputera and the Malay rulers.
- The prime minister will be a member of parliament from PH and the deputy prime minister will be from BN
- The Perak and Pahang state governments will be led by BN
- Cabinet posts will be distributed among the partners based on their percentage in Dewan Rakyat
- The appointment of any BN MPs to the Cabinet must be approved by its supreme council beforehand
- The appointment of Dewan Negara members, main posts in government-linked companies and other government posts must first be notified and discussed between the PM and DPM.
- All senior cabinet posts (Finance, Home, Rural and Regional Development, Education and Defence) will be decided on by the PM and the DPM, and the distribution will be equitable and commensurating their capabilities and expertise.
- The government composition will include representatives from each party with senior positions given once talks are concluded.
However, it is also understood that tensions are running high within the coalition itself, with several BN members claiming that Zahid had gone against the collective decision of the BN Supreme Council to stay out of the fight, and did not convey BN’s resolution correctly to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Stay tuned for more updates!