Monday, September 26, 2022
HomeNewsPrivate helicopter goes missing in Perak, search and rescue launched

Private helicopter goes missing in Perak, search and rescue launched

Yesterday (11 September), a helicopter with only the pilot on board was reported missing near Bidor, Perak while flying from Subang to Ipoh.

According to Bernama, the privately owned Eurocopter helicopter took off from Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport at 11.37 am and was supposed to have landed at the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport at 12.37 pm.

However, the helicopter lost radio contact with the Kuala Lumpur Air Traffic Control Centre (KLATCC) at 12.16 pm before the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) reported the aircraft as missing.

Source: Bernama

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Wee Ka Siong said the aircraft’s last known location was a forest area near Bidor.

“CAAM and the police will issue further statements on the incident and a search and rescue operation is underway,” he said.

The search and rescue will be led by CAAM chief executive officer Datuk Captain Chester Voo with the cooperation of Tapah police.

“We pray that the search and rescue team will obtain the necessary information to pinpoint the exact location of the aircraft, and we hope any news received is a good one.”

Source: FMT

“According to the control tower, the radar showed that the aircraft is already on ground level, but we need to be certain and not make assumptions. A full report will be issued by CAAM,” Dr Wee said.

Meanwhile, Tapah district police chief Supt Wan Azharuddin Wan Ismail said the coordinates provided by CAAM indicate that the helicopter’s last known position was near the Chikus forest reserve, near Langkap in Teluk Intan.

Apart from the Tapah and Teluk Intan police, the search and rescue also involved a Fire and Rescue Department team.

Altitude loss

In a statement later, Voo said a review of radar readings indicated a large loss of altitude in less than one minute.

“The radar system in the Kuala Lumpur Air Traffic Control had recorded a sharp loss of altitude of the helicopter in less than one minute,” Voo said.

“The air traffic control officer tried to make contact with the pilot but there was no distress call made.

In an update shared by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong, the pilot of the helicopter that went missing yesterday was found to be alive at the crash site in Bidor, Perak.


Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments