Last month, PAS Youth leader Ahmad Fadhli Shaari has called for the Malaysian government to cancel all concerts by international artists as it is against the norms and values of Muslims in Malaysia.
On Sunday (4 September), Minister of Federal Territories Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim responded to the Islamist party’s call and said the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) will be reviewing the guidelines for approving a concert.
He said that the city hall has received certain complaints from the public and will now look into them.
‘We were told that certain concerts do not contribute to youth development,” Shahidan said during a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur National Youth Day Celebration 2022.
Meanwhile, he said that having entertainment is not wrong but guidelines play an important role when it comes to having fun.
Thus, the city hall will be reviewing the performances in Kuala Lumpur to ensure that it is suitable for the people.
“We can enjoy entertainment, but at the same time, we want concerts to have a positive impact on the audience,” he said.
However, Shahidan did not specify which concert will be reviewed.
Shahidan said his ministry, through Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), has prepared venues for concerts to be held and they will have a committee in DBKL to filter and issue approvals for these concerts.
“But let’s not bring entertainment that doesn’t bring a positive impact to the community. We will look into these guidelines again,” he said.
There is a list of performances scheduled in Kuala Lumpur for the rest of this year but let’s wait for more updates from the city hall before we rush in to buy tickets.
What do you think about this move by the Ministry of Federal Territories? Share your thoughts!