Thursday, March 30, 2023

5YO French boy dies after being stung by poisonous jellyfish in Pangkor

Social News5YO French boy dies after being stung by poisonous jellyfish in Pangkor

A 5-year-old French boy was reported to have died after being stung by jellyfish while swimming at Teluk Nipah beach in Pangkor Island on Monday (15 August).

According to Bernama, Manjung District Police chief ACP Nor Omar Sappi said the incident took place at about 6.45 pm when the victim suddenly screamed in pain while swimming with his family there.

“People close by to the victim rushed him to the beach before realising that he had been stung by jellyfish.”

“While the boy was brought ashore, he fell unconscious and his family took him to the Pangkor Health Clinic,” Nor Omar said.

He said the police received a call from the health clinic staff at about 7.30 pm informing him that the victim had been confirmed dead.

The examination carried out on the victim showed tentacle sting marks on the abdomen, left hand and left leg.

Nor Omar said the autopsy on the victim at Seri Manjung Hospital found that the cause of death was due to “jellyfish envenomation” and the case was classified as sudden death.

Meanwhile, the Perak Fisheries Department said that their initial investigations did not find any poisonous and dangerous jellyfish in the area that caused the boy’s death.

State Fisheries Department director Noraishah Hashim said the information was obtained from the department’s investigation along the beach of Teluk Nipah in Pangkor Island, reported Bernama.

“Nonetheless, the Fisheries Department will hold discussions with the relevant parties so that they can put up signs warning of the presence of dangerous jellyfish.”

“Visitors are also asked to be more careful and not to touch any marine life they come across in the sea or the surrounding area,” she said, adding that the department will be monitoring the area from time to time for safety.

Trending now

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Recommended for you