Thursday, March 30, 2023

Malaysia to achieve 100% internet coverage with the launch of Measat-3d satellite

Tech & GamesMalaysia to achieve 100% internet coverage with the launch of Measat-3d satellite

Yesterday (23 June), the Measat-3d satellite was successfully launched into orbit from French Guiana, South America at 5.50 am Malaysian time.

With this newly-launched satellite, Malaysia is expected to achieve its 100% Internet coverage target before 2025, as well as to improve its broadband services, says Communications and Multimedia Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa.

He said that the services offered by the satellite would be fully utilised in a couple of months’ time.

“So, there are two important aspects relating to the launch of the satellite today. Firstly, it will enable us to achieve 100 per cent Internet coverage for all populated areas before 2025.”

Source: Berita Harian

“And secondly, we will be able to improve the quality of broadband services, improve high-speed services to be as good as the fibre optic network that we are implementing in developed areas,” he was quoted as saying by Bernama.

The Measat-3d satellite is Measat’s 8th and most advanced satellite. It costs about RM1.2 billion and has a lifespan of 18 years. It is also expected to improve the communication services to Malaysia and regional countries, as well as to bridge the digital connectivity gap and shape a better connectivity future for Malaysians.

Annuar said the launch was a historic development and very important to the government’s efforts to fully succeed and complete the implementation of the Jendela programme and the Malaysian Digital Economy Blueprint (MyDigital).

He added that the country had an expected Internet coverage of up to 97% under the Jendela 1 programme which connected populated areas using the fibre optic network method, while the remaining 3% were in rural areas.

“We definitely require the use of satellite technology for the rural areas. We are already satellite technology now but the existing satellites are offering broadband services of low capacity and low speed…mostly less than 10 Mbps, but Measat-3d satellite will be able of providing broadband services of between 35 Mbps to 100 Mbps to those areas,” he said.

“The goals in the blueprint will be fully achieved with the launch of Measat-3d today.”

Meanwhile, Communications and Multimedia Ministry (K-KOMM) secretary-general Datuk Seri Mohammad Mentek also congratulated Measat on the launch of the Measat-3d satellite.

He said the launch will enable Malaysians to enjoy better connectivity, especially in rural areas.

“This will help the country achieve the goal of bridging the digital connectivity gap between rural and urban areas as outlined in the Jendela plan.”

“With access to high-speed Internet throughout the country, all Malaysians will enjoy access to the socio-economic benefits powered by the Internet, including engaging in e-commerce activities,” he said.

Trending now

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Recommended for you