Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Portable gas stove in steamboat restaurant explodes, injuring a family of four

Social NewsPortable gas stove in steamboat restaurant explodes, injuring a family of four

A family of 4 was left with injuries to their face and legs after a portable gas stove used for steamboat exploded right in front of them.

According to Sinar Harian, the incident took place at a restaurant in Alam Mesra, Sabah at 9 pm on Sunday (19 June).

Lintas Fire and Rescue Station Chief Agustavia Joe Guasi said they received an emergency call at 9.06 pm regarding the incident and 13 personnel rushed to the scene.


Upon arrival, they found that 28-year-old Roberto Antoni, his wife Wujon Maria Mae, and their two children suffered injuries due to the hot water and fire.

Meanwhile, The Star reported that the 2 adults suffered burns and cuts but the extent of the children’s injuries was not disclosed.

Source: Facebook

“The 2 child victims were sent to the hospital by the public before the fire brigade arrived at the scene.”

“Two others were given initial treatment by the medical team before being sent to the hospital by ambulance,” said Agustavia.

Agustavia added that the fire department conducted further inspections to avoid any other potential danger that could occur at the premises.

The situation was under control by 9.35 pm and the operation ended soon after.

How to safely use a portable butane gas stove?

If you bought a new portable butane gas stove with an integrated cylinder, follow the guidelines below to ensure you use it safely:

  • Make sure the portable butane gas stove is safety certified. If it is not safety certified, consider disposing of it or returning it to the supplier/manufacturer.
  • Always use the stove according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • The stoves are designed to be used for very short periods. Do not operate the stove for longer than the manufacturer recommends.
  • Portable gas stoves should never be used indoors or in confined spaces.
  • Always allow for adequate airflow around the stove.
  • Many stoves are packaged with the trivet upside down. Only use the stove when the trivet is the right way up, with the pot supports facing upwards.
  • Make sure all connections are tight and that there are no gas leaks. Using a soapy water solution, spray the connection point. If bubbles appear, there is a leak. Tighten if necessary and then retest. If bubbles still appear, do not use the stove. Replace the faulty components before using them or speak to a gas appliance professional if you are unsure about how to make them safe for use.
  • Never use the stove in a way that causes the canister to overheat – for example, do not use them to heat up heat beads.
  • Do not use pans or pots larger than 200mm (unless specified as safe by the manufacturer) – when the pot is too big, it concentrates the heat down toward the gas canister, which may cause it to overheat and explode.
  • If the portable butane gas stove doesn’t seem to be operating or lighting correctly, do not use it. Do not tamper with the appliance or its controls.

Trending now

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Recommended for you