A developer has been ordered to stop the construction work of a highrise project in Taman Pertama, Cheras after a 2-storey house in the area collapsed due to a landslide.
According to Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), this occurred after a retaining wall at the project site shifted on Sunday (22 May).
In a statement, City Hall Mayor Datuk Seri Mahadi Che Ngah said residents who were affected by the incident were moved to a nearby hotel.
Meanwhile, he said the developer had been ordered to immediately fortify the retaining wall. “The Malaysian Institute of Public Works has been appointed as a consultant to oversee the work. The developer is also required to review the design of the retaining wall.”
“They must also come out with a long-term proposal to solve the problem,” he was quoted as saying by The Star.
He added that electricity and water supply to affected homes had been discontinued over safety concerns.
The affected residents said their nightmare began about 2 years ago after the nearby construction work started. Unfortunately, their calls have gone unheard and the developer continued the project anyway.
Speaking to Sinar Daily, KM Chong, said he has been living in the area for over 20 years and not once has he ever encountered of cracks on the wall.
“I have been here for over 20 years, and I have never encountered such an incident ever since I lived here except for the last two years,” he told Sinar Daily.
He said that when the piling work started, they could feel the tremors everyday.
He added that the residents have raised the matter to City Hall but no action was taken.
“We are yet to receive any responses from them. We are angry and annoyed since we have been living here almost all my life, and I love the neighbourhood because we know each other,” he added.
Following this incident, Chong said he is considering to move out from the area for the safety of his family as the cracks at their homes are getting wider due to the construction.