Close contacts of Covid-19 cases will no longer need to undergo mandatory quarantine starting today (22 April).
This was announced by the Health Ministry in a tweet, saying that the new guideline would no longer distinguish between vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.
However, the ministry would encourage close contacts who develop Covid-19 to quarantine and perform a Rapid Test Kit-Antigen (RTK-Ag) test on the first day they get sick. This should be followed by another test on the third day.
“If the RTK-Ag result is negative and the symptoms have improved, there is no need to quarantine anymore, but do practise preventive measures,” the ministry said.
Effective 22 April 2022 (Friday), the following is the procedure for close contacts to COVID-19 cases. pic.twitter.com/GZwFsybALC— KKMalaysia🇲🇾😷 (@KKMPutrajaya) April 21, 2022
Those who are asymptomatic can skip the quarantine and Covid-19 tests entirely, but should still practise the preventive measures for at least five days after exposure.
Meanwhile, the ministry also shared a series of preventive measures for the close contacts and they include wearing a face mask when leaving home, avoiding crowded places, and ensuring they stay in areas with good ventilation.
Additional preventive measures include avoiding visiting high-risk individuals and only travelling for essential needs.
Previously, only individuals who had received their booster shots were exempted from a home surveillance order.
Separately, Bukit Aman has denied that the police will no longer issue compound notices to those not wearing face masks.
According to The Star, Bukit Aman Management Department director Comm Datuk Zaini Jass said the status quo remains.
“I can confirm that compound notices will still be issued to those not wearing face masks.”
“I will issue a statement soon to explain the matter further,” he said.
This came after a news portal reported that the police will stop issuing summonses to people who do not wear face masks in public.
It quoted Bukit Aman Management Department deputy director Deputy Comm Azmi Adam that the decision was made by the National Security Council in light of the upcoming Hari Raya celebrations.
“No more summonses will be issued for the offence of not wearing face masks, but officers must advise those who don’t do so,” Azmi reportedly said in a circular dated 20 April sighted by the news portal.