Former Education Minister Maszlee Malik has mocked those who accused him of corruption and misappropriation of funds, saying these individuals should try harder to look for “better” ones.
Maszlee also said the recent accusations targeted at him were “too lame”.
In a tweet, he questioned the credibility of the sources quoted by news portals who were described as informants.
“Sources” said?— Maszlee Malik 🏴🇲🇾 (@maszlee) February 1, 2022
Yesterday 50k, today 200k? Honestly peruntukan menteri is more than that
Political activities? Am I a party man then?🤣
Vellfire? Did I ever own any?🤔
The one used during MOE belongs to government… not mine 🤣
Find other allegations la, this one too lame 😁
“Yesterday RM50,000, today RM200,000? Honestly, allocation for a minister is more than that,” he wrote.
Previously, The Star had reported that the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) was probing an RM200,000 “contribution” from a ministry-linked company while Maszlee was the education minister.
It was reported that the money was apparently meant for political purposes.
However, Maszlee responded to this accusation by saying “Political activities? Was I a party man then?”
Meanwhile, Maszlee also claimed that the MACC officers had intimidated his staff at his service centre, but the MACC has denied this.
The MACC said it was only probing Maszlee after two complaints were filed against him.
According to Malaysiakini, a source had said the allegations involved money from a ministry supplier and the use of a Toyota Vellfire.
In the same tweet, Maszlee said he never owned such a vehicle.
“The one used during the days in the education ministry belongs to the government, not mine.” he added.
He then mocked the sources quoted by the news portals, saying “Find other allegations, this one is too lame.”