It seems that the worst is over for Lee Zii Jia after the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) announced that they have reached a mutual agreement with the world no.7 after his appeal on the 2-year sanction.
However, both BAM and Zii Jia have refused to elaborate on the details of the 2-hour meeting held at the Academy Badminton Malaysia on Tuesday (25 January), but the decision is still pending the BAM Council’s approval and will only be unveiled next week.
Taking it to his Instagram, Lee said he was pleased to have met with Norza Zakaria at a private meeting in which his parents were also present. He also thanked the BAM president for his guidance before this.
“I am happy that we are now resolving this issue with BAM after receiving Tan Sri Norza’s blessings to become a professional player.”
“At the moment, I will commit myself for the Asia Team Championships. I hope this conclusion unites us as Malaysians and badminton fans,” Lee said.
“Please continue to support BAM and also the country’s professional players who are also nurtured by BAM because at the end of the day we are one.”
Last week, Lee Zii Jia and Goh Jin Wei were slapped with a 2-year ban from international tournaments by BAM after their resignation from BAM.
The decision has sparked outrage among Malaysians and many showed their support for Lee, demanding BAM to retract the ban.
Meanwhile, Berita Harian reported that a source revealed that BAM made a counteroffer of RM1 million per year to Lee Zii Jia to keep him on, but he remained firm to leaving BAM.
What do you think about this? Share your thoughts!