A popular hotel in Langkawi has temporarily cease operations after 59 staff and their family members were tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday (4 October).
According to NST, the Director of the Kedah State Health Department (JKN), Dr Othman Warijo said all cases of the infection were reported under the Dah Teluk Nibung Cluster, which has been categorised as a workplace cluster.
“As of 4 October, this cluster comprised local staff and close contacts involving family members.” he said.
He added that 249 individuals have been screened, with 59 of them have tested positive, while 192 have been confirmed negative. Three more individuals are still awaiting their screening results.
Meanwhile, Dr Othman said that the initial investigation suggests that the transmission of the suspected infections began from the community before spreading to the workplace.
Following the Covid-19 outbreak, the hotel management decided to voluntarily shut down its operations for the time being.
Dr Othman has reassured the public that the state health department has the situation under control, as well as having the virus transmission contained.
“All the identified close contacts have undergone COVID-19 screening and have been placed under a Home Surveillance Order (HSO) for 10 days.” he explained.
Meanwhile, the Health Minister, Khairy Jamaluddin said the MySejahtera’s automated contact tracing module has sent out 73 casual contact notifications to the individuals who have checked in at the hotel.
He then urged those who received the casual contact notification and are showing COVID-19 symptoms to get themselves tested.
He also added that this is what the new normal will look like and that the Ministry will improve casual and close contact notifications.
This is what the new normal will look like. We will improve casual & close contact notifications and ask you to watch out for symptoms.— Khairy Jamaluddin 🇲🇾🌺 (@Khairykj) October 4, 2021
On the other hand, the Health Director-General, Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said that 149 individuals who visited Kedah via the Langkawi Travel Bubble have tested positive for Covid-19 so far.
He added that there were 186 people being identified to their close contacts too.
In total, 40,458 people had been screened throughout the duration of the programme which started on 16 September.
The travel bubble project was touted as a great success by the Langkawi Development Authority based on tourist arrivals and it was reported that the island’s tourism industry managed to generate RM15.97 million in revenue for the period from 16 September to 30 September.
What do you think about this? Share your thoughts!