The Health Minister, Khairy Jamaluddin had revealed that the Malaysian government has collected almost RM75 million in fines for Covid-19 standard operating procedure (SOP) violations since the first Movement Control Order (MCO) was introduced last year.
He said this in a Parliament session on Tuesday (28 September) in response to a question raised by Bukit Bintang Member of Parliament (MP), Fong Kui Lun who asked for the total number of fines issued, as well as the cumulative amount.
“For Yang Berhormats’ information, the total number of fines issued for SOP violations since 2020 until today is 120,974 notices.”
“Whereas, the total amount of issued fines is RM74.92 million up to 26 September.” Khairy said.
Meanwhile, Khairy said that there were a total of 360 cases of SOP violations that are still on trial in court.
In another parliament written reply to Ipoh Timur MP, Wong Kah Woh, Khairy said a total of 112,671 notices for fines were issued up to 27 August, adding that this was an increase of 67,542 notices for fines issued in 2020.
“The notices for fines issued after 21 July until 27 August this year is 10,419,” Khairy added, as reported by Malay Mail.
When being asked if the government will cancel notices that were issued after 21 July due to the confusion on whether the Emergency Ordinances were still effective, Khairy stressed that all the fines were valid and will not be revoked.
“These fines are still in force as the Emergency Ordinance is still enforceable for a period of six months after it expired on 1 August 2021.” Khairy said.
He also explained that the Emergency Ordinance (Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases) (Amendment) 2021, which gives legality to the issuance of these fines, is in force until 1 February 2022, or until the Ordinance is repealed by the Parliament.
“Therefore, there is no confusion as stated.”