Caretaker Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced the reopening of several economic sectors for states under Phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP).
This only applies to those who have been fully vaccinated with the Covid-19 vaccine. Individuals who have received the vaccine that requires two doses (Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Sinovac), are only considered fully vaccinated 14 days after their second dose.
Individuals who have received the vaccine that only requires one dose (Johnson & Johnson, CanSino), are only considered fully vaccinated 28 days after the date of vaccination.
Here’s a list of activities that are ALLOWED to operate starting 20 August:
1. Dine-in at restaurants and eateries
- Restaurant operators should provide more dining space outside the premises for better ventilation as the risk of transmission of Covid-19 is higher indoors than outdoors.
- Owners of eateries must ensure that those entering the premises for dine-in MUST show a Covid-19 digital certificate that proves the individual has been fully vaccinated.
- Couples who have been fully vaccinated and plan to bring children aged 17 and below for dine-in at restaurant premises must ensure that their children adhere to strict SOPs.
2. Sports, recreation and leisure activities
- Activities allowed include non-contact sports and non-group activities that are held in semi-open and open areas.
- Physical distancing must be adhered to at all times.
- Premises involved in these activities are allowed to open from 6am to 10pm.
- Activities allowed include jogging, exercise, taichi, cycling, skateboarding, fishing, equestrian, archery, climbing, tennis (singles), badminton (singles), golf, motoring and the like.
- Dine-in activities at restaurants or cafes at these premises are ALLOWED in accordance with the dine-in SOPs.
- Premises owners must ensure that those entering the premises for dine-in MUST show a Covid-19 digital vaccination certificate which shows that the individual has been fully vaccinated.
- Operation of changing rooms or shower facilities at clubhouse premises are NOT ALLOWED to prevent any gathering after sports to reduce the risk of infection.
- Picnics and camping activities are allowed.
- Children under 17 years old are allowed provided strict SOPs are adhered to.
3. Pasar malam & Sunday markets
Relevant enforcement authorities, as well as owners of the premises, must ensure that customers who enter the premises MUST show their digital certificate of Covid-19 vaccination to prove that the individual has been fully vaccinated.
Muhyiddin said that this decision was made as immunisation coverage has increased and critical Covid-19 cases are beginning to show a downward trend and is expected to decline further.
“Today, I chaired a Special Session of the National Security Council (NSC) to discuss and consider proposals by the NSC Special Technical Committee to further expand social and economic sector facilities, especially for Phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP),” he said.
“The NSC Special Session today was also attended by the Director-General of Public Service, Secretaries-General from each ministry, Director General of Health, Director General of NSC, Director General of Immigration and senior Government officials concerned.”
“For the record, the consideration made today takes into account the positive development of the complete vaccination rate of the adult population nationwide which has exceeded 50%. This achievement is earlier than the previous target of 31 August 2021.”
He also added that the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme (PICK) has been progressing, namely in Labuan, Sarawak, Negeri Sembilan, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.