Last Thursday (29 July), the Parliament sitting has ended earlier than expected due to the discovering of staff at the Parliament being tested positive for Covid-19. Meanwhile, the Health Director-General (DG), Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had on the next day (30 July) announced that out of the 1,183 individuals screened, 11 of the them had been confirmed positive.
Following that, disinfect works had been carried out at the Parliament building. Meanwhile, the Health Ministry said that they will conduct risk assessments and contact tracing activities too.
Given the circumstances, the Perikatan National (PN) government led by Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has instructed for the special parliamentary sitting which is set to resume on Monday (2 August) to be postposed to a later date yet to be determined.
The notice to all Members of Parliament (MP) was sent yesterday (31 July), where Parliament secretary Nizam Mydin Bacha Mydin said the postponement was in line with the recommendation of the Health DG after a risk assessment was carried out by the Health Ministry following a number of Covid-19 infections in the House recently.
The letter also mentioned that MOH found that the Parliament is now considered a high-risk location for possible infections
Meanwhile, Nizam Mydin also said that the Deputy Speaker Datuk Mohd Rashid Hasnon has ordered to inform all MPs that the Parliament will not be sitting on 2 August.
Previously, the 5-day special sitting is set to begin on 26 July and ends on 2 August.
The purpose of the special sitting is to discuss the issues involving the Covid-19 pandemic situation, the vaccination process, the national economic recovery plan including the Emergency Ordinances.
However, the itinerary of the Parliament sitting shows it was only for discussions and it does not involve any voting.
On the 4th day of the sitting, Mohd Rashid had at round 3.30 p.m. announced a lockdown in Parliament after two personnel were found to be Covid-19 positive.
Since then, all MPs, parliament staff, and journalists were barred from leaving the grounds until swab tests were carried out.
The swab test also shows that another 2 staff members were tested positive for Covid-19.
Read the statement from Mohd Rashid here: