During the first day of the Parliament sitting yesterday (26 July), the de facto Law Minister Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan had revealed that the Emergency Ordinances had been revoked since 21 July and the government have no plans to advise the King to extend the nationwide state of emergency after 1 August.
Responding to the matter, the Kepong Member of Parliament (MP), Lim Lip Eng pointed out the need for the International Trade and Industry Ministry (MITI) travel and business letters to be presented during road blocks as the Emergency Ordinances have been revoked.
Lim said that the people are now confused after the government’s sudden announcement on the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances yesterday (21 July).
“The people are very confused. Can they travel across borders? Do they need the Miti letter to conduct their businesses? Can shopping malls open? There are so many questions and this is why we cannot wait until next Monday (Aug 2).” Lim said, cited by The Star.
On the other hand, there was a furious debate today (27 July) when Takiyuddin refused to answer queries by MPs on whether the backdated revocation of the Emergency Proclamation was consented by the King.
Takiyuddin said that he will only answer all these questions next Monday (2 August) when he briefs the House about the Emergency Proclamation. He also said that he is bound by a ruling by Speaker Datuk Azhar Azizan Harun to answer on the Emergency Proclamation next Monday.
“We need an answer now, the people can no longer wait.” Lim said to the reporters in the Parliament today (27 July).
“I’m urging the Inspector-General of Police, the police and also the Attorney-General to give an answer, whether we still need MITI and police letters to do business and travel and whether all sectors are not opened again.” added Lim.
The Proclamation of Emergency made to combat Covid-19 since 12 January this yet is set to expire on 1 August.
Having said that, the fines of RM10,000 imposed on all SOP offenders after 21 July can be rendered invalid too.
According to Malay Mail, co-chair of the Bar Council’s Constitutional Law Committee, Karen Cheah pointed out that the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances was not published in the gazette for it to take effect, nor had it been consented by the King.
Hence, the Emergency Ordinances are still considered as valid and can be relied upon by the government during the period from 21 July to 1 August. However, they remained status quo for now until they see the gazette.
Ultimately, this means that Malaysians are still required to be complied with the SOPs until further notice.
What do you think about this? Share your thoughts!