Parti Aspirasi Sains Malaysia (SAINS) was initially a creation on Twitter to throw satirical jokes at Islamist party PAS (PAS), but they ended up registering themselves with the Registrar of Societies (RoS) yesterday (9 June).
SAINS is a party that promotes “evidence-based policies supported by science and data” and a human-centered economy with sustainable development, while they aim to eradicate poverty from Malaysia as well.
“Its mission is to improve equality of opportunities for all Malaysians and push the nation towards the pursuit of knowledge, for the benefit of humanity through continued application of science and reason regardless of ethnicity, gender or religion,” the party said in a statement.
Speaking to Malay Mail, the pro-tem president and founder, Kenneth Chai said that the idea for Parti Aspirasi Sains Malaysia came as a parody, as they share the same initials with PAS, Parti Islam Se-Malaysia (or the Malaysian Islamic Party).
“So I was trolling as a PAS member (being sarcastic) in the beginning, commenting on their political decisions and actions. Then one PAS member DM-ed me to stop using their party name, so I just said alright, I’ll start my own party,” he said.
“My Twitter followers know I always post, criticise and argue about science as I’m a STEM teacher. So I started a parody, Parti Ajaran Sains, to troll them,” he added.
Commenting on the current political parties, he said that most parties are either race or religion-based, or to make one person the prime minister kind, and most are full of old men. He thinks that we need a party that transcends all these and provide a platform that focuses on evidence-based policies backed by science and reason, not what colour your skin is, or where your ancestors worship.
SAINS listed 8 members of its founding executive body, including Kenneth, in the registration yesterday (9 June). They said that 48% of their party members are women, while the remaining 52% of the party comprises East Malaysians.
Meanwhile, Kenneth said that they will focus on getting approved by the Registrar of Societies (RoS) because they understand that it will be a tough process. He added that the other bigger parties such as Malaysian United Democratic Alliance (MUDA) and Parti Pejuang Tanah Air are still struggling with their registrations.
Should you sign up for SAINS? Kenneth said “if you’re tired of the current political standstill, that’s going nowhere, if you’re sick of the discussion about something you can’t change ― your skin colour, your gender ― be the change with SAINS.”
“Let us light the tinder of science and reason towards a brighter political future of Malaysia, led by rational political leaders. We are inclusive, and encourage all Malaysians to speak with us.” he added.